Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 7:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
I am curious , how would you know how many pounds of glass are being shipped if your NOT part of this company ?

Why use a glass that has documented serious problems because it is cheap ? I would never want to sell anything made from Devardi if some time down the road the beads will crack ! This is apart from the issue of working conditions etc .

Just my take on this !!
The shipment size is announced in the newsletter when they announce the pre-sale & links for previous buyers to get new colors before the website goes "live to the public".

I've *bought* beads made of "expensive-brand-name-glass" (raku anyone?) & paid decent prices for them, & had them crack "sometime down the road". Beads are GLASS. It happens. Could be poor annealling. Could be I smacked it around in my bead box. Could be they used 104 clear over 96 Raku . Could be who knows what, but it's still a "lost" $$ that I never got to use in re-sale jewelry. I've had the same thing happen with beads with "bumps", etc. Heck, I've even got a sheeps (sorry Nikki) that my brother managed to knock an EAR, Tail & foot off of. Does that make the sheep "poorly made"?? I *know* he was all effetre 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
Actually all I have ever used is BE until recently I want to branch out & try more 104 glass but I do not want to deal with a glass that although it is the same COE as the others seems to need way different handling & doesn't play nice with others! Whats the point ?
Because it's a CHALLENGE. It's interesting to LEARN about "what works with what" & to have "stuff to remember" & to learn to *recognize* from the way glass "feels" what might/might not work & "why"--there's a science behind it, but even when you (ok, me) might not understand the actual "chemical" science, you start to learn the way something feels when it's melting, & realize that it's "not going to work" because of the way something *else* feels when it's melting (viscosity)--that mixing them together *might* not be such a great idea (particularly if you're batch annealing )--or what you'll need to do to "force" them to work (ie: higher annealing temp, longer/slower cool down, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Jack, Don't you know? All Devardi Glass beads will crack in 2012 and that will be the cause of the world coming to an end! Scary!

Jim

PS: Great Devardi beads
That's it! That's the plan!! Devardi is REALLY created to bring about the end of the world!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies