Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 2:06pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
From Bullseye's site:

"Certain glasses – reds, yellows and oranges in particular – have a tendency to shift their internal chemistry when fired for extended times, more than once, or to temperatures higher than a typical full fuse (1450 – 1500F). They may, under these conditions, become incompatible. With these glasses, the test is therefore performed (on the same chip) three times."

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/weblog/...se-of-the-fun/

I'd think we could use the temperature range as a cause for incompatibility, since they do. It's my understanding that flowing glass is in that range.

I'm not saying I go for the cool glass working prevents cracking theory, as I haven't experienced it, but if BE says it, doesn't it make it a possibility?

And they say over and over again that COE and compatibility aren't as simple as matching the numbers.
That is a caution for people doing multiple, extended or high kiln firings of the same piece repeatedly. It has never been an issue with flameworked BE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.