View Single Post
Old 2014-09-13, 3:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
There was an awful batch of pea green a few years ago, and it seemed to last forever. Even though I finally got a batch that doesn't fall apart as soon as it's put in the torch flame every time I use pea green I flinch.
That was one of the very first colors I ever used in my first class with Kate Fowle-Meleney, way back in 1997. Scared the stuffing outta me! Kate said "oh no, not again!" and told me to put it aside. I had a rod in my first order and set that one aside, too. I didn't order any more for at least 2 years, and when I finally got some it was just as bad!

I agree, it's the inconsistency of the whole thing that drives me nuts. I think I've had shattery batches of almost every color over the years. There was an especially vicious batch of ivory about 5 years ago. I ended up putting a tray under the torch to catch as many pieces as possible, then made stringer by picking up the pieces with a better-behaved rod and melting them in. Geez it was annoying!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.