View Single Post
Old 2022-03-31, 4:11pm

Glad to hear things are going better...Just hang in there and keep at it....

The Lynx is a great torch and I have found I can do quite a bit with it even in the world of Boro....However, there is a learning curve and my experience with soft glass showed me that it is super easy to overheat the glass....Less is more definitely applies.

Remember a few things:
There is a whole lot of work that happens just outside the flame and it can be hard to tell that folks are outside the flame slightly even when you are in the room watching as angles of sight are different. The issue is even worse when watching videos...

The videos you see (assuming you watch them) show a much different looking flame as the way the camera picks up the light is different than our eyes....

Typically you can tell a reducing flame from others (on a GTT) by the fact that your candles are getting sharp/pointy and yellow or orange tips. Try to keep them rounder and/or whiter for neutral/oxidizing

If you are too close to the torch face you are also in a more reducing environment than if you move out a few (4-6) inches (even when you have an oxidizing flame) as the mix of gasses is taking place just in front of the torch.....

Also make sure that unless there is a good reason not to, for a short period of time, the middle valve on top should be cracked open to help keep carbon from building up...Just barley turn it until you see a very small change to the flame for normal use, but eventually you may want to use it for the sharp flames as well.....

I have run a Lynx for quite a while on a 10 lpm concentrator at 5400 feet elevation and have never had any sign of carbon build up...I am pretty sure it is just by running a proper flame....

I also believe in running a little oxygen through the torch after use to help cool it down but not sure if that contributes or not....It is easy for me as I just let the concentrator slowly dump the remaining oxygen out after I turn it off...with tanked I would just put a very small amount coming out of both Oxygen ports and give it a minute...Not much but some. Just a thought.

Also, this video from GTT may help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ylgwDS9Xo

The part that shows flame adjustment is done with a 2 stage torch so the inner flame/fire is the Lynx and transfers over directly to your use....He also shows a flame to NOT use. After the flame adjustments there are some demonstrations starting with someone using a Lynx to make some flowers if I remember correctly....cannot remember the others but you can either watch or skip....

I hope this helps and wish you happy melting!