View Single Post
Old 2009-07-12, 11:59am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
I have built a system that utilizes 2 M-20 concentrators, a laboratory vacuum compressor and a 29 gallon holding tank. I compress the o2 up to 100psi. The system shuts off at 100 psi and turns on at 80 psi. This system lets me run a Phantom or a Barracuda at 100% for well over 2 hours at full blast!. That’s plenty of time to complete most projects. On a full day of work I have never run out of O2 as I rarely utilized 100% output for extended periods. Usually a project is broken up into periods of variable amounts of O2 use so when I am doing detail work with a small flame the system is building back up to 100% and shutting off.

Why deal with going to Tank pressures of 2000psi + when 100psi will do.
I have purposely not published how to build this system due to liability issues and the dangers of mixing high pressure O2 and oil.
For those interested a large glass tool and supply company is currently working with this design to test the feasibility of creating it for the market. If all hold true to projections I would expect to see them on the market within a year.

I have been running this unit since January and it seems to be holding up well. I can’t wait to score a Mirage and see how it performs with it.
Sounds good. I've been toying with a system (in my mind) similar to your 80-100 psi system with either a 30 or 60 gallon holding tank. At some point, I may put it together and post info and parts list on it just for the heck of it.

Personally, I'd rather listen to music than noise, so I don't mind filling a couple of K tanks during the off hour. If I don't have to have compressor noise while working, I will go that route, even if it means tank filling during the off hour (I stay in the approximate range of 400-1100 psi). But, I agree, lower PSI is safer than higher.

BTW, what is your holding tank's charge-up time to 100 psi?

Also, we are looking forward to hearing how the mirage performs on your system...perhaps it may need an upgrade to a 60 gallon holding tank to be optimized?

Dale, a system based on the Rix is also a kludge system. With a Rix, you still have to get all sorts of fittings, hoses, and the like. It's just that someone else does the kludging. With a Homefilll conversion, it's the same, except you do one more kludge and modify the output to take a high pressure hose. I have an industrial hose house fabricate that part for me. All other partws are rated of 3000 psi or higher.

Any off-the-shelf tank-fill system is essentially a refined kludge so to speak...someone put something together, worked out bugs, tweaked this and that, and then felt like they had the risk manageable. Then off to market is was (or in the case of the system this major glass mfgr...off to market within a year).

But I agree, for an off-the-shelf tank fill system to come without any assemby or operational documentation, and no warning information is wrong...sometimes people are too rushed to make a buck to do it right, imo.