View Single Post
Old 2018-09-03, 6:10pm
Phill

Aye, and some towns and cities have ordinances against large (K size I think they are called, about shoulder height) tanks in residential areas.

The city counsels come up with various reasons but mostly they are trying to avoid having 'back yard mechanics' setting up junk yards that spill out of the backyard and on to the streets.

They also don't want people setting up welding businesses in residential areas.

I purchased something called a 40 tank that is around knee high for about $125 back in 2007 or so but I mostly only use it for actual welding.

The thing about propane tanks is that the valves have been updated to have better safety features and almost no one will refill a tank an old style valve.

Also some refill places don't have proper filters and can wind up with gunk and junk in the bottom of their huge tanks and if you get a refill from them when their tank is low you can wind up with crap in the bottom of your tanks that can clog your torch and hoses.

Getting the torch cleaned by the maker can be time consuming and normally is not free so regardless of where you get your tanks refilled be sure to let them stand still for 12 hours to allow anything inside to settle.

All tanks, oxygen or fuel, have to meet department of transportation standards and must be inspected every dozen years or so so if you purchase or get given tanks you should get them inspected and recertified ($$).

Shop around if you are going to buy an oxygen tank. Prices can be all over the map.

Oh and remember that getting an oxygen tank refilled is not typically like getting gas in the car.
Often you wind up dropping it off one day and picking it up a week later.
Also, most places simply take your tank and give you another one that is full so there is a very real possibility that your brand new tank will have been "mistakenly" given in trade to some one else so I would not buy new and expect to get it back unless you find a place that will guarantee that you get your own tank back.

Tanked oxygen is going to be 99% pure oxygen while medical oxygen concentrators are only going to put out 96% at best and more like 93% most of the time.

Oxygen concentrators (oxycons) are fine for most soft glass and hobby work with boro but if you are going in to production mode then tanked might be worth the cost and effort.
If you are running to large boro (2.5 inches or better) you might want to look into liquid oxygen (lox) but lox needs to vent off pressure and you can lose a lot of the oxygen to venting if you are not torching 8 hour days 5 days a week or more.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-09-03 at 6:46pm.