View Single Post
Old 2011-04-07, 11:39am

tweeky-
Great question! The concept about how much torch is needed to do boro is a question we hear ALL the time. The funny thing is the comments made by those without lots of boro time or perhaps with lots "bad technique" boro time pass on opinions that are Far from fact.
So, here it is.........
Nortel Minor is a Great torch and can do amazing things with proper technique. Without going into too much here and NOT comparing which torch does something better than another..... the minor can make boro marbles from 3/4 inch to 1 1/8" very well. It can do 1 1/4" size pretty well... with a little more time needed to melt down the larger size rods to start the implosions. Larger than that CAN be done, but it would take a lot of extra time to make it.
Back to the minor... Just an FYI.... it is a great ornament torch for using 25.4 x 4mm wall (1 inch heavy wall) tube and 30mm scalloped tube.
A thing about technique.........
Rotating glass evenly without the end wobbling in the flame will speed things up a bunch. If you have ever watched a student trying to melt something smooth for 20 minutes and the instructor comes up and does it with the same flame in 1 minute... you know what I mean.
PM me anytime with questions! That is for everyone... you don't have to own one of my tutorials to PM me for info. I love to talk about glass and enjoy hearing from other glass artists.
Ron