View Single Post
Old 2007-01-02, 5:38am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz View Post
Please do not use copper for your gas lines in side the house! You should be using steel/black pipe, galvanized or the new flex pipe for interior applications. The latter is expensive- the fittings are ~$11 each, but apparently you save on the pipe fitting labor by using it.

I know that my gas company has, on occasion, run *shudder* 3/8" copper, above ground to my house. That is so bad- it is soft and can be broken/pierced easily. Now at least they are better about trenching it in immediately. As a matter of fact, they are doing it tomorrow!

Yes, you need a valve for every appliance and a main valve where it comes into the house, and also a valve outside the house if you can, in case the valve on the tank itself fails/leaks. This way, no matter if you are in the house, or outside, if you suspect a gas leak, you can shut off the gas.

You need to use the stainless flex to go from your tank outside to the hard plumbing inside the house. This is also the way that gas stoves are connected inside the house, so that you can move the stove for cleaning or repair without damagine the gas lines.
Um...NO. Copper can be and IS used very safely in the house and the studio. Copper is one of the alternatives to hard wall pipe and is used when there are a lot of bends to accomodate that hard wall would require a lot of threading, 90's and 45's. Copper is permitted under code in every code that I've seen.

The key is that you do NOT use compression fitting which are prohibited under the code. Copper has to have flare fittings (metal to metal).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.