Thread: Chettah Vs Lynx
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-09, 8:00pm

lightgiver.

I'll give my newbie opinion and please realize that it's just that. I defer to the more knowledgeable folks here...

I was going back and forth about what torch to replace my hothead with between the lynx, redmax, little dragon and a few other torches. I ended up buying the redmax with the minor top fire. I use the minor for probably 98% if everything I do. I have the bottom bigger torch when I need it but I don't think I need to use it that often. Please remember that I'm brand new to boro, and glass is general, but I can make 1" marbles pretty easily with the minor. I've pulled points on 25mm x 4mm wall tube and 32mm x 4mm wall with the minor.

The cool thing about some of the torches I've seen is you can go from a small pinpoint flame to a big raging singe the hair on your arms flame, from one torch... Im very happy with my torch, I don't use but maybe 50% of what it can do right now but in the future I may wish I could run my bigger flame with a pedal or something like that.

I'd assume you've been piecing your studio together. like lots of us do. You know it's going to cost too. You could get a minor and work some boro and upgrade when it no longer meets your needs or you could pick a torch that is bigger and more advanced and grow into it. Upgrading the torch later is going to probably mean another fair sized outlay of $$$ Or, you can just absorb the more expensive torch now, while you're used to waiting on the studio, income and other things.

I didn't answer your question, just a few things to consider while you make up your mind because ultimately, it's your torch and your money.