View Single Post
Old 2008-10-21, 9:08am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I would love to hear what you think the differaces are between the betta and the cricket. I have the betta and would love to know if the cricket is hotter
I haven't used either my Cricket or my Betta much yet but here are my first impressions.

First of all, I'm using 1/4 PSI natural gas. I think this is now the biggest limiting factor in my set-up and I think it prevents all my torches from showing their best stuff

Boro -- I like the Cricket and Betta equally for working boro on my set-up. I think both torches are working better than my MiniCC for boro on my set-up. However, it takes a bit of time to work boro on the Cricket, Betta and MiniCC. I did a class where I worked boro on a Minor that was powered with tanked propane and tanked O2 and it took some time on that set-up as well.

So I'm now at the point of deciding how much I want to work boro. I have a 10LPM oxygen concentrator which I understand would power a GTT Lynx if I switched to propane. I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to work boro on a regular rather than occasional basis that I'd probably be happiest upping my fuel PSI and moving up to the next level of torch. I just don't think I have the patience level that is needed to work boro on the entry level torches. And I'm regretting buying the Betta rather than going for a Lynx since they're in the same price range.

Soft glass -- I haven't worked much soft glass yet with the Betta but once again, on my particular set-up, I think the Betta and Cricket are pretty much the same.

I think the Cricket is much cuter than the Betta. And if I was looking to buy a first torch or move up from a Hot Head, I think the Cricket is absolutely the way to go. I personally like the flame characteristics of the Cricket much better than the MiniCC. The Cricket flame can be fluffy but it's not too fluffy and when the Cricket is in pinpoint, it is a penetrating point which I like much better than the MiniCC's pinpoint.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado