Thread: messed up flame
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-07, 7:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Try slowing things down a bit. Set regs on minimum pressures and see what happens.

Three torches all have same symptoms... not the problem
Several regulators all show same symptoms.... not the problem
New hoses..... should not be the problem. Quick connects could be the problem as they have a valve inside that has a rubber seal ring. The ring could be bad and causing sticking either open or closed or in between.
Orange or yellow flame indicates lack of oxygen or incomplete gas mixing.... possible problem
Hissing flame indicates disrupted laminar gas flow.... too much pressure, or obstruction. Obstruction unlikely if there is bad flame on all candles
Yellow out the side of the candles.... Indicates gasses not mixing well. You have GTT so surface mix, sounds like crap in the torch tubes. Clean the center tubes with the little wire that GTT provides; cut a narrow strip of an aluminum can about 3/32" wide and bend it around a toothpick to form a small tube; carefully insert the strip into the channel around the outside of the center tube to clean it. Be very careful and stop if there is heavy to moderately heavy resistance; you do not want to break off the strip in the channel. I used stainless steel shim stock so there was less chance of breakage...SS is way stronger than the aluminum.
Bad outside flame...try running the torch with the blue valves closed for a minute or two... still bad? ... try with blue open and green closed...any change?

Cover the torch face open all valves and blow into each torch hose. Any feedback to the other hoses. There should be! now uncover the torch face and do it again... any feedback. There shouldn't be. It might be very slight so maybe put free hose ends in a cup of water and watch for bubbles.

Some ideas. PJH
this is good stuff and I talked with GTT about the cleaning of the O2 ports that they dont suggest trying ones self. however your input is good pass along material.
"Three torches all have same symptoms... not the problem"
I have ruled out the torches. one was brand spanking new.

"Either that, or I'm chucking it in the trash and buying a Minor."
throw it this way, but seriously I know your pain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.