View Single Post
Old 2013-03-19, 9:32am
Mary Lockwood

I don't think there is a glass worker out there whose designs I didn't outright copy for personal learning and skills. I've made two laughable Kim Affleck seahorses. I've made Ayako Hatori style frogs on jellyfish. I've made miniature sloppy versions of Charles Lowrie's sea turtles. The list is literally endless. I didn't sell them. I didn't even post pictures of them, but I made them. And I'm not sorry I made any of them. I learned so much from those efforts. It made me a better beadmaker.

Amazingly enough, with as much as I actually do try to copy everything I see, the only time I've ever been accused of copying was totally unintentional. AND, I was just working on a new free tutorial for Soda Lime Times and the latest issue came out with pictures of some beads that were like 90% similar to the tutorial I am writing.

I try to copy on purpose and it turns out bad. But boy am I ever great at copying stuff on accident. LOL

Anyway, just a long way of saying that copying or emulating to learn isn't a bad thing. Copying on purpose to undercut someone or to profit from someone else's hard work is a bad thing. I would expect anyone who purchases a tutorial from me to make lots of beads that look just like the one in the tutorial. But then it would start to evolve into something of their own. That's the whole idea. Learn the skill...then make it your own. Some people do it, some people don't, but I don't spend any time worrying about whether they do or not. I sold the tutorial. They are either going to expand on it or keep it at face value. I doubt my opinion of it matters, they are going to do what they are going to do.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2013-03-19 at 9:37am.