View Single Post
Old 2013-03-20, 11:39am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Sorry to get away from the specific question in this thread, but I wanted to respond to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
The idea that those who purchase tutorials are somehow forbidden to use the techniques they learn is a myth; unfortunately it's a persistent myth. It crops up every so often, and when it does, those of us who write tutorials attempt to set it straight.

I don't know of ONE tutorial writer who has EVER told the purchaser that they are not "allowed" to use the techniques that they've learned. Still...the myth pops up again and again.

Please show me one, just one instance of a tutorial writer who has 'forbidden' the purchaser to make and/or sell the work resulting from the learned technique. I have yet to see that happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sislonski View Post
Well said Sherry. It's rather annoying to see the subject come up again and again.
There are lots of reasons this pops up from time to time. And while I've never purchased a beadmaking tutorial that discouraged people from selling what they make, there are plenty of tutorials in other industries that do discourage it, so those merits of specific beadmaking tutorials are bound to get confused from time to time.

Plus, just because no tutorial author has stepped forward to say they discourage it, doesn't mean it hasn't existed at some point. I don't know anyone who would want to come on a thread and say "Yeah, I say that people can't sell beads made with my tutorial" and open up that can of worms. And buyers of tutorials wouldn't always feel it's appropriate to post quotes from tutorials they've purchased.

(For what it's worth, I have heard artists express something to that effect when teaching classes though.)

Plus, there are tons of statements around the boards similar to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrina310 View Post
I absolutely hate it when people copy a persons tutorial beads and then sell the beads at bead shows. I know several people who do this- not good for all of us who work so hard at original glasswork.
So sometimes when people disagree, like Keoki, they're responding to those kinds of statements, not trying to accuse individual tutorial authors of saying they discourage selling.