View Single Post
Old 2005-12-20, 2:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbeads
I'mconfused about the mandrel, it has something asttatched to a screw that has been welded onto a mandrel that you make the bead on and it removes, like a nut inside knob?
Hi - First off Ronnie thanks for posting your pictures - looks great, glad your having fun with these!

Shelia -

Yes basically this mandrel is a stainless steel screw that has been tig welded dead on center with a handle. The nice thing about these knob mandrels is the inserts are REALLY inexpensive. The threaded insert onto which you form the knob is made from copper wire threaded onto the bolt. Your glass is formed directly onto the copper with no bead release. When it comes out of the kiln, you simply unthread the knob and do it again! Inserts cost you around 12 cents to make if you buy the wire in 25 foot lengths from Home Depot. If you purchase in larger quantities you can get the cost down to about 5 to 8 cents per insert. Complete instructions are included with each mandrel when I send them out. The copper insert is not as strong as a steel one but I have a whole bunch of drawers and cabinets using these now and they work great. If you want to make a knob absolutely permanent put a drop or two of 2 part epoxy glue on the threads of your bolt prior to attaching the knob to the drawer or cabinet.

Drop me a note if you have any questions.

Evan

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

web:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EvanH; 2005-12-20 at 3:05pm.