View Single Post
Old 2009-10-22, 10:19am
Formerly known as Venesa

Hey there, I thought I'd let you know that I run my Red Max on two oxycons (both are 10 lpm / 7-9 psi) with propane and I've never had any problems with it. I use the bottom Red Max for large stuff and boro. The top, which is a Minor, I use for all my other soft glass work. I think you mentioned Bullseye, I use the top torch for that too.

I found the paperwork that came with my Red Max and copied it below for you:

"To prevent overheating of the heads and nozzle tubes: 1) Do not have small gas flame burning with little or no oxygen. 2) Low velocity small flames can cause a red glow at face of the burner. This will prematurely oxidize burning away the nozzle tubes.

Always adjust control valves to avoid red glow at face and red tinge in the flame. Increasing oxygen flow will reduce this.

Do not allow molten glass to touch the front burner face because glass deposits in & around the nozzle tubes and is almost impossible to remove.

Nortel burners run on low pressures Propane 2-6 PSI, Natural Gas: 1/4 to 2 PSI (6" water column or more), Oxygen 5-8 PSI"

The only other info on this sheet is a warning not to use acetylene gas and how to use the cleaning tool.

I had to laugh when I read about the glass on the front of the torch being impossible to remove. Several weeks ago I was trying to add glass to a huge iron key. It was so heavy that I was really getting fatigued and I actually let it slip and it hit the torch head and smeared half the head with glass. I was mortified. I turned off the torch and ran upstairs to get ice to see if I could crack it off. When I turned the torch back on again the pressure blew the glass off with the loudest bang you ever heard. It was fantastic b/c my torch was perfect underneath!

I've loved my Red Max and hope you have lots of good luck with yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.