View Single Post
Old 2017-06-21, 6:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Miaco View Post
notes from a somewhat gullible novice:

Using the settings prescribed by the manufacturer the torch is:

loud (not a quiet torch - it has quite a hiss)
hot (the control nobs get too hot to adjust)

Looking at the torch I now see the makers have struggled with the heat issue. There are fins to dissipate the heat and a large metal block which I am going to guess is an attempt to make a heat sink that will help to cool the torch. Neither of these appear to work.

I am somewhat uncomfortable to have control nobs too hot to touch. I am reluctant to burn my fingers and also wonder about safety issues and how long the hoses will last before they crack or break.

I am thinking about getting a different torch. One that is quieter and does not have the heat issues the National 8 appears to have.

I should add that I have no experience with any other glass torches to date so these issues may just be standard for other glass torches as well. I may also be a bumbling fool that cannot figure out how to use the torch.

apologizes if this is of little help-
Bumbling Gullible Novice

I've read that some older 8m's have something wrong with an O-ring that has something to do with the overheating issue. You might contact National to see if they have anything to say about it.

I've never had trouble with mine, but I've only ever ran it with premix tips.