View Single Post
Old 2011-02-12, 8:26am
Mary Lockwood

Default My beads aren't perfect, but...

...there are some minimum requirements I think a bead needs to meet to be released into the world. I'm only bringing this up because I've been perusing etsy this morning and saw some really beautiful beads. The colors and patterns and ideas were phenomenal, but there were things that would keep me from purchasing them.

Things that will keep savvy buyers from purchasing them as well. We are all trying to make it through this economic rough spot. Some of us are struggling with lower sales and the desire to stand out. The following list is my opinion on what the absolute minimum standard is for a sellable artisan lampwork bead. Personal standards can be way higher and could include perfect shaping, perfect balance, etc...but this list is the bare minimum.

1. Glass beads have to be annealed and you should make sure you truthfully say that yours are. If you don't believe this, that's fine but most people do and you're shooting yourself in the foot. No need to argue about why they don't have to be annealed- you aren't going to change my mind or anyone else's. If you don't have a kiln maybe you know someone who will batch anneal for you. If you are annealing your beads, make sure you say so!

2. Raised design elements like dots and stringer lines need to be melted in so that there is no undercut where the decoration meets the base bead. For example--a raised dot should look like half of an orange sitting on a plate. Flat bottomed with a dome. If it looks like a marble sitting on a plate it is going to eventually chip off. Sooner than later depending on the degree of undercut. Same with stringer work. Same with joins in sculptural pieces. Smooth points of contact where elements are joined together.

3. Bead holes--they need to be smooth. Some people believe that bead holes always have to be dimpled. Some people disagree. To me, this is a matter of personal preference but there is no arguing that bead holes DO always have to be smooth so as not to damage stringing material. That is the minimum requirement. No jagged holes.

That's it. There are all different levels of beadmaking skills. Simple beads are awesome, elaborate beads are awesome. Sets, focals, sculptures...whatever style and whatever skill level. Everyone's beads have a place in the market. One person's fugly is another person's muse, but no matter what the bead actually looks like it should always be structurally stable and safe to use.

If you go through your etsy listings and look very closely at your pictures can you see any of these flaws in your work? If you can see them, other people see them too and they are hurting your sales.

Again, I'm not talking about bead perfection. Mine are not perfect either (by a long shot). I'm not talking about aesthetics, we all make different looks. Just bare bones gotta beez. You are better off melting in your dots and stringer too far than not enough. Sure they look beautiful all high and mighty on a bead but I guarantee you they do not have the longevity modern bead buyers are looking for. We need to be better than the mass produced imports and frankly--those have gotten pretty darn good.

I hope this is taken in the spirit it was intended. I'm not holier than thou. I just see these beautiful beads on etsy with elemental flaws, read threads about struggling sales and thought I should say something. These are easy fixes! Bump your work up a notch. Stand out in a good way!

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2011-02-12 at 8:34am.