View Single Post
Old 2008-07-23, 9:09am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I decided to try making beads with flat glass, so I bought a sheet of Hobby Lobby (Spectrum?) and a glass cutter and running plier.

The glass has beautiful swirls of rose and pink and white with a bit of sea green.

I cut a couple of half inch strips and set to melting on my Mega Minor.

The glass melted nicely enough and I made about 8 beads from the first strip, 6 round and 2 pressed pillows.

Here's my question -- where did the colors go?

I ended up with essentially solid color beads. At least they are a pretty pale sea green. But where did the roses and pinks go?

I tried melting the strips with the smooth side in the flame and then with the rough side, no difference.

I've been reading that the Hobby Lobby glass in COE 96 and I have lots of 96 frit and a dozen CIM 96 colors (unused as yet), so I can decorate. But I was hoping for a "tie-dye" looking bead just using the sheet glass.

Any ideas? I've seen photos here of multi-colored beads made with stained glass alone.

Could it just be the sheet I happened to pick? I only got one.

I could try another, but frankly, it I'm just going to get solid colors, it's not worth handling the strips when the rods are so much user friendlier.

Thanks,

Liz
Art glass looks the same as tested compatible glass, but it's an entirely different chemistry. Most streaked art glass will melt into a solid color. Some will divitrify badly. Some will change color completely. Spectrum art glass will sometimes fuse to Systems 96 glass, but not reliably. For reliable results you should use only glass that is labelled "Systems 96". The Hobby Lobby glass is art glass for stained glass and mosaics but unless it is clearly labelled "Systems 96" it is not suitable for kilnforming or torchworking.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan