View Single Post
Old 2008-07-23, 12:01pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I see, that is very interesting. So, I shouldn't even use COE 96 frit? Maybe just the fine stuff in tiny amounts?

I'm glad that at least I'm getting a pretty, glossy seafoam from my strips. Although I don't know that I really want to make 100 or so seafoam spacers.

What if I buy another sheet of Spectrum at Hobby Lobby -- can I pull stringer to decorate beads from the first sheet, and vice versa?

Or, I could quit while I'm ahead with my $15 investment (1 sheet of glass, a scoring cutter and a running pliers).

Thanks for the responses!

Liz
You can use COE 96 frit on Systems 96 glass and most of the time it's okay to use on any Spectrum glass - but not always. If you buy another piece of Spectrum, it may fuse compatibly - or it may not.

Artisans buy tested compatible glass (Systems 96) to ensure they have glass that "will" work instead of "might" work. Spectrum art glass is COE 96 but isn't necessarily the same viscosity as Systems 96. Viscosity is as important as COE. A lot of Spectrum art glass will refuse to fuse. That refusal may appear immediately, next week, or even next year. There is always a significant risk when you mix glass that isn't assured compatible. One of your beads could pop apart while someone was wearing it.
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...xing%20COE.pdf

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan