View Single Post
Old 2015-06-01, 3:58am

Default Question regarding the profitability of glass bead making

Hi all

I wonder if you can help me.

I'm considering setting up a business creating glass jewellery, specifically memorial beads for pandora bracelets to begin with. I'm based in Nottingham, UK, and would mainly be selling the beads online (hopefully!)

I've been looking into the costs to set up and the ongoing costs of production, and I'm estimating around £5 expenses per bead to create, which I believe can be sold for around £30 each. Does this sound about right to you? I know there will be up front costs which I'm estimating will be around £100 without a kiln, which I can possibly use for £7.50 a go in a shop nearby, until I can afford my own, but I'm looking at the price per bead here.

I do need this to be a business rather than just a hobby, as I need an extra income to fit around the kids, so I just wondered, in your opinion is glass bead making potentially profitable enough to create a small business out of? I don't have any experience yet so will need to learn the skill, but I have what I believe is a good customer base of pet owners I can target with the product. I would just welcome your opinion as to it's viability as a profitable business.

I know I have a lot to learn, but before I do, I just want to check I'm not barking up the wrong tree with this idea!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sally