View Single Post
Old 2017-02-09, 4:08pm

Question New exhaust idea, through the attic?

Hi! I have moved from Maryland to Virginia on the water, now my three season studio is no longer and its in the house. So, I dismantled my exhaust hood that had a Grainger fan, one of the super duper ones and didn't keep the wooden hood. Now my studio is connected to my home in what is referred to often as a "mother in-law suite". Truly its a bedroom, bath and den area at one end of my rancher home. I'm trying to figure out a new setup without this giant box hood over my head and have looked at many tutorials, so I am wanting to use flexible heat/fire (?) duct and a setup like Andrea Guarino-Slemmons. Late one night it dawned on me that I didn't have to drill a six inch hole through my siding to the outside and possibly.... I could run this exhaust up through my attic, which is totally floored but not heated or a/c, it breathes fresh air.

If I ran the duct 30 feet to the gable end of the house and put a exhaust vent with a one-way flapper (I forget the name of that ) so wind doesn't come in, it would be similar in theory to the bathroom exhaust fan that does the same. What's your opinion on this? Do you think this would be a good idea? I could put the grainger exhaust fan up in the attic right above my ceiling and torch table, run a switch down to the studio room to turn it on and off.

In addition, there is the issue of 'make up air' and so I'd need some how to figure that out. One idea is to run a very small duct from the opposite end of the attic to pull fresh air out of the attic and drop that duct down into the studio at my torch table, having it right nearby so the exhaust will draw the attic air and not my inside home heated/ac nice air. I have no idea where this make up air duct would sit as far as how close to the torch and torch exhaust duct.

I'm trying to be so safe, just thinking of possibilities that would not affect my home heat/ac and at the same time be able to do lampwork and metalsmith soldering etc.

Thanks to those that will read this and offer their thoughts, links, experience and guidance.

Ilene