View Single Post
Old 2015-09-19, 5:16am

Welcome!

Like you, I had nothing nearby to attend when I wanted to learn, so YouTube was my primary teacher. Never bought any books, either. I would suggest using the free videos available until you play around a little. Play with the cheapest of the colors to start. Save that silver glass for a little later. This site is the best resource around, hands down! People here are so willing to help and share their knowledge, since we've all been beginners at some point. Lots of free tutorials and questions answered about the basics. Most have been asked, so get familiar with how to search this site. You might also find someone relatively close on here, too! I found someone 1-1/2 hours away and have become friends. We get together and help each other when we can.

Mostly practice, practice, practice! Save those first beads to see your progress. When you get a little more comfortable, a great source of tutorials and information is the Soda Lime Times. Only $5 per month and well worth it! Wait to buy the more expensive tutorials till you know better what direction you want to go and what styles you like. The first real tutorial I bought was Amy Kinsch's (AKDesigns) Storm Tutorial, since her beads are what inspired me to try this art.

Also, make sure your address is available in the RAOGK section. (Random acts of glass kindness) I've had several people send me some wonderful little packages that really made me happy! Watch the garage sales here too for great deals - love those!

Hope that helps!

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."

Last edited by Michele R.; 2015-09-19 at 5:20am.