View Single Post
Old 2006-04-29, 8:26am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley
Great tips Dawn, thanks heaps!
Although, I've tried superheating, get the raku going so dark I can't see it, and can't get any more colour to come back....! What's happening there? Some designs I don't want to encase and I get frustrated when the raku 'dissapears' on me.... Any ideas?

Shelley
Sydney Australia
While encasing raku is almost fool proof, NOT encasing raku can sometimes require a little more coaxing. Here's what I do. Once the raku is too dark, I let the bead cool just a bit until it totally looses it's glow. Then I bring it back into the flame and heat it good and hot (but not "white hot") again and the flame seems to suck the color back out of it.....but then you need to spot chill it again to get some of the color back.

The part of this whole raku thing that I had the hardest time with was allowing myself to put a bead in the kiln that looked like it had black raku on it. I had one bead in particular that had scroll work on it that looked black. The next day when I pulled it out of the kiln, what was ugly black had turned to a most awesome red with blue and green edges!

That's why I say it takes a little experimenting to know how it should look while it's still hot to get the results you want once it's cooled down. Make some tiny test beads trying different things and let them air cool so you see what the results are right away. Then pick one you like and try to do the same thing again. Once you get used to knowing what to look for, you can move on to that big fabulous set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator