View Single Post
Old 2008-04-04, 7:41pm

Well Linda
I know a little about this, seeing how I am the guy discounting glass that made many of my peers upset.
Several other sellers have stated there are many hidden cost in this business as they stated.
So to let all know that I had a sale because I had more than a ton (2,000 Pounds of glass in bundles uncut that were paid for sitting here, and most of my Vetrofond bins were full besides.
Unlike most of my competitors I usually don't have any shipping cost.
I live in the same town as my distributor. A strategic location was one of the reasons I started this business. It just made sense.
I am now feeling the pain of other buyers because I have have to buy more glass from new suppliers because My main supplier is out of stock on a ton of colors that he will not sell to me. Very poor planning!

Tax time is also getting close and I just jumped back into the business full time again.
I decided to pump up business a little and get more exposure to my business.
Did I make a reasonable profit on the Vetrofond I sold?
Not really.
But I sold many other items and received many new customers.
It was worth it to me and to the customers that got a great deal.
As far as the oddlots that is different.
If you can remember that demand just goes through the roof when a color like V931 River Rock comes out.
There is only so much made, be it buy accident or not. Many people did and would and people are greedy simple fact. I know that about 100 Lampworkers control 90 percent of the hidden glass that you all want. Supply and demand drive the market.
If you don't buy the Oddlots the price will go down simple fact.
Look @ Mike's 40 % off sale.Less demand ...... less price, they go hand in hand.
Many of the retailers of the same glass are holding a bunch of glass that we thought we could sell at a reasonable markup.
We, believing that we may not get another chance to buy those oddlots try to stock up. Looks like we got burned on this one!
Also factor in there are many new resellers that have jumped into the market that dilutes the pool of prospective buyers down considerably .
I know I am not getting rich selling glass and supplies.
This is a story for you!
I work at least 16 hours a day maybe 6 days a week x 2 people(Bill & Donelle)= about $4.00 an hour if I am lucky. Yes I am making a killing.
If you think prices are bad now HOLD ON TO YOUR BUNDLES because I know it is going up,up, up!
Buy now and save money on the simple colors. I try to keep cost down . I don't overcharge on shipping and always refund the difference unlike others.
I don't charge for boxes,bubble, peanuts and shrink wrap. You cane almost buy a small car for what I spend a year.
I think that when you get down to it we all are feeling the inflationary pressures due to our economy .
I expect that there will be some people get out of the business because of it.
I jut hope it isn't me because I like working for $4.00 an hour!
Bill T.