View Single Post
Old 2007-08-16, 5:42pm
Pyromaniac

I'm not sure why no one wants to do a tut, but here's my first attempt . . .(well, the first one that didn't crack or fall on the floor, LOL) pitiful and simple, but I managed to burn myself a few times, so I hope that counts for something. So, I am not a expert by any means, but this is what I did.

1. I made a vortex just like you would for a pendant but kept it reasonably round, puntied it up to the front and stuck it in the kiln. It looked sort of like a large marble, but slightly elongated.
2. Rounded one end of a clear glass rod and applied dots which were almost melted in and smooth.
3. Heated the rod a few inches down from the dotted end and bent it.
4. Puntied up to the dotted end and melted off the other end of the rod to the desired length.
5. Brought the round portion out of the kiln and hot sealed it to the melted off part of the rod.
6. Annealed it for 2 hours.

I was very concerned about the vortex end not being sufficiently attached to the rod, as this could be a disaster.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to contruct these better I would appreciate it some feedback. Again, if this is in an inappropriate place, please move it, I don't want to offend anyone.
Thanks, Lana