View Single Post
Old 2014-08-13, 12:46am

I think where to stay really depends on how long you will be there, if you want to see many shows, if you will have a car, and which shows you want to be closest too. The last two years I stayed, through Airbnb, in a vintage RV parked in a garden just outside the Convention center. Close to the Simpson Street Shuttle hub, walking distance to all the I10 shows, downtown and 4th avenue for going out, and we rented bikes for going further out. Parking can be tricky and time consuming at quite a few of the shows. If you look into the shuttle routes, they can save you a lot of time. However, sometimes, you can just be stuck somewhere just waiting for a shuttle that only comes once an hour. This new show is quite far out of the city center, but pretty close to Gem Mall, Joggs and some other shows. I expect (hope) there will be one or two shuttle routes going to it.
For us, where we stay is the perfect location, and very affordable to. But if you are just going for a weekend, and you only want to see two or three shows, it's quite different.

Many of the cheap motels have very high prices during Gem show season, but they are often still the cheapest bet. Someone described them to me, including some that are show locations, as hooker hotels all year round, and making all their money during the Gem show. It used to be that these were all full up if you did not book way in advance. Nowadays, I've been told it is still quite possible to get a place to stay last minute.

If you have a bit of money to spare, and you have a car: there are some great resorts to the North of Tucson, beautiful scenery, relaxing, etc.