View Single Post
Old 2016-09-09, 4:31pm

Default actually used and owned both torches

I realize this is a very old thread but someone else may want this answer as well, Nikki may jump in here as well as the scorpion is/was hers however I have used it some myself.

The Scorpion is a 6 port center fire surrounded by an 8 port outer fire there is no second oxy knob on this torch like many other GTT torches.
we ran this both inner and outer fire on two m20's feed into an 11 gal tank rather well.
this is a great torch for bead making and small boro work, the flames are rather narrow so if you plan on doing much hollow or tubing work we found this torch to be limited in work size which is why we moved to the bravo.
however like all GTT torches the flame does have plenty of heat and penetration for the work it is made for

The Bravo is a 6 port center fire surrounded by a 12 port outer fire, the flame characteristics of the bravo torch allow much larger work and still allow fine work, I make soft glass insects in the center fire. I have also worked pretty decent size hollow tubing work in Boro on the bravo which is much more difficult to do on the Scorpion.

The scorpion is a great small two stage torch and if you want a bead torch that has an outer fire capability and can do small hollow work this torch is great.

I think Bravo was designed for a much broader application of work from small beads and soft glass sculpture to pretty large boro work. recently at Glass stock folks made up to three inch boro marbles on the bravos.
this was a fairly old comparison I think today it would be closer to compare the Sidewinder (which is the larger cousin to the Scorpion) and the Bravo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151