View Single Post
Old 2012-01-20, 11:42pm
Flame On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Hmmm. Interesting that so many people think it is OK to use a trademarked name in marketing competing products. Pandora has put a huge amount of money into building this name into a well recognized trademark and they have every right to protect their investment. I think most of us would do the same. What am I missing. Not looking for flame just a discussion of how they are not justified.
I actually agree that they are justified, HOWEVER, here is the irony, and the reason I hate Pandora. They copied this idea themselves from Trollbeads. Then used CORPORATE mass marketing to flood the market. Trollbeads has been around since 1976 and thriving, yet most people only have heard of Pandora.
Secondly, glass bead artists on Etsy are not the reason their stocks are plummeting from trademark dilution. The REAL reason is Pandora themselves for trying so hard to "brand" the large hole concept. My issue is that they should spend some of their huge corporate profits to stop the factories pumping out products with their name on it, not take the easy way out and go after "little people" that are actually just using the term for search. Because of their approach to marketing, it's almost like Jello and gelatin. People that are just looking for large hole beads know of no other term and think it's "what" large hole beads are called. I agree they have the right to protect their name, it would be nice to see them do something about the real issue, factories, not individual bead artists. But that might be hard for them, since all of their beads are produced by factories in the same region as theirs are made, some on the same molds. That's what you get when you sell out to the lowest bidder and then sell a $2 bead for $65. Now those factories have the molds and do what ever they want with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by theglassattic; 2012-01-20 at 11:53pm. Reason: fix typo