View Single Post
Old 2010-03-11, 10:03am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default snarky feedback on a tutorial purchase

I have an encasing tutorial for sale on Etsy. I explain in the description that there are only so many ways to encase a bead, and that to my knowledge, I have never been exposed to this method of encasing; I developed and elevated a technique for small beads to a new level on my larger beads, and was able to get consistent results by doing so. Again, there are only so many ways to encase a bead, and it is possible (and likely) that someone else has also thought of this method, which is why I do not claim to have invented it (implying that no one else would have thought of it, or that I'd done something so innovative that no one had ever tried it in their own quest to encase better.)

I think this very clearly says that you may have seen this somewhere else, but I also think there are LOTS of people who are not good at encasing, and for $18, this technique is very simple to follow, gives a nice thin layer of encasement, and delivers virtually no bubbles.

Many people on LE have tutorials for sale regarding techniques that we have all seen before, done before, learned from someone, etc. Lots of them, actually, and we're all free to buy or not buy them as we see fit, an example is the rainbow petal bead tutorial by Amy Trescott. I'm not knocking her by ANY means, people want to know how to make this bead, her beads are beautifully constructed, and she does a nice job explaining it. I would want to buy a technique from her, 'cause clearly she does it very well.
(and I realize it's not $1 point is, she didn't invent the technique either.

kkathe (etsy user name-no actual beads for sale at this time) left me a SCATHING feedback :

Most lampworkers who charge $18 for a tutorial actually have an original technique, you are selling one of the three ways to encase beads and marketing it like it is special knowledge. You should be ashamed of yourself.

It should also be noted that she never once tried to contact me, never asked for a refund, and is just being obnoxious. I have had hundreds of sales on ebay and etsy, and the only negative feedback I have ever gotten (2) was from beadmakers who say I shouldn't be marketing a technique that is already out there

I've sold a bunch of these tutorials to people who were very satisfied, and I just don't know how to respond to this.

Has this happened to anyone else with a tutorial?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Last edited by Charmaine; 2010-03-11 at 10:07am.