View Single Post
Old 2009-02-16, 2:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
This is the thing here...We are talking thousands of $$$$. I have people get excited when they see my beads and ask if the can learn. They are surprised at the cost for classes and that they have to travel to get to one.

Then they ask how much it costs to start making beads...I say thousands if you want to do it comfortably and safely with a goodly amount of supplies.

I don't think they believe me.

It was cheaper to own horses...It was cheaper to do watercolors, it was cheaper to do pottery....I thought all of those things were soooo expensive back when I was doing them...Hummph.

Lorraine
Great post you started, Lorraine! Very timely - there's another recent thread asking how much it costs where Kalera and Pam had some great inputs.

A friend of mine has been interested in getting started, and, if she does, wants to bypass the HH and start out with an oxy/propane torch. I invited her over for a lesson and talked with her about what kinds of things she'd need. After asking me a couple of questions and considering for a moment (she'd also priced things on her own), she observed that it would take about $2000 (including ventilation) to add lampworking to her studio. She's thinking hard about it...

I started out with #1, bypassed #2, went straight to something between #3 and #4 and am now basically at #4.

I'm like the three of you.... incremental build up for me, too.

Linda