View Single Post
Old 2008-06-17, 8:25am
RaymondMillbrae

Welp, Folks & Folkettes...

let's keep going.

Last night me & Mamacita grouted the table top. I have never grouted before, so needless to say, it was an experience. As a matter of fact, laying down the adhesive to fasten the tiles was even worst. (What a tacky, hardtostirandmix, material)! Here's a picture of my wifey-poo last night as she was wiping-off the top cover of grout 20 minutes after the application.

And here's a picture of the finished tiles this morning, after I wiped it down with damp cheesecloth. (Mt Everest Verde). Sorry about the funky colors, but the sun was coming up and the gold ray's play havok on my camera.

So now that the tile is done, the next step was to place the newer hood frame on the table top. But wait...let's check out the sheet metal backing I made for it. (Pretty good if I say so myself). He he he. To the right of the hood frame is the duct tubing. After some thought and conversations with MIKE AURELIUS (a venting guru), I decided to switch out the 8" inch duct tubing and go with 7" inch duct tubing throughout my system. I'll explain more at a later time. (Very important)!!!!!!!!!

These next pictures show the ALMOST finished product. Notice the newer hood frame with the section above it to hold glass rods. I am still looking for some of that plastic fence railing that comes hollowed and internally sectioned in 3. Home Depot and Lowes (in my area) do not carry it. So if push comes to shove, I'll have to get 1/16" or 1/8" inch wood, and make them myself. I also want to mention that it is hard wired throughout. The swith in the front will turn ON the fan and both OxyCons. (I've also added cut-off switch/breaker for the fan and Oxycons). The kiln has it's own recepticle. But since I am leasing, I cannot hardwire a 20amp fuse and 12 guage wire for the kiln. But I did the next best thing and dedicated a recepticle with a cut-off switch/breaker so it doesn't draw too much power, heat up the wire within the walls, and cause a fire. (Read Mike Aurelius's website for more info. Very eye-opening)!!!

And "Yes"...the hood frame has a steel backing (painted white) and side baffles. I purposely made the side baffles out of Pexiglas so that the outside light can shine through and my DWP will not feel "boxed in". I am also gonna place some silicon sealant along the top edge and side of the rear baffle, to make sure it is airtight and no fumes escape. The Pexiglass side baffles are already VERY secure and airtight.

Oh yea, FYI...I also cut-out side slots on the intake portion of the hood. I was thinking about this, and realized that it would only suck in fumes that traveled upwards. But what about fumes that were to the left and right of the intake? (It probably wouldn't happen, as it is a very powerful fan for my set up). But just to satisfy myself, be on the safe side, and quench the McGiver in me, I cut slots on the sides so that it would also suck-in air horizontally.

There are still a few more thangs that need to be done (like more wiring stuff that need to be installed for safety, switching out and installing the new sized duct tubes, and hooking-up the hoses), but it's just about done.

I'll keep yall "up to date" if you don't mind. I figure that my mad rambling may help someone else out in the future.

And in closing, I want to thank Mike for all the venting help. I understood about 85% of his stuff. But he was kind enough to help me out with the other 15% that totally flew over my head.

Kudos, Mike!

Anyhoo...gotta git to work.

Till next time, America. And don't forget to pray for our Troops!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-06-17 at 10:05am.