Thread: Devardi cracks
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 2:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
I disagree. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that if kilnforming can cause changes in the glass composition that flameworking can as well. Flameworkers can have the glass going through many heating and cooling cycles for 30 minutes, an hour, longer even, and they are getting it hotter than the kiln range given. And the bullseye link doesn't use "and", it uses "or", telling me that they say any of those things can cause a change significant enough to impact stability in a piece.

Again, I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the cool working=no cracking thing, since I haven't had cracking problems and I don't work cool. I'm just saying that even bullseye lays a logical foundation for the possibility.

1. 30 minutes or an hour is not a long time in the kilnforming world, and

2. in lampworking, glass is not held in the fully-molten state for those periods of time. Glass at 1500+ would simply run off the mandrel.

Those of us who use BE extensively in flameworking, and have for many years, have never had that problem arise, which indicates that in a good-quality glass it's not an issue for our application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kalera; 2009-11-19 at 2:25pm.