View Single Post
Old 2009-06-09, 8:58pm
marbeads

Exclamation Zimmerman color

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinvermont View Post
Hi Mona and the girls, I'm so pleased that you posted to this thread and gave the link to Deb's tutorial! I just read it nd looked at all the pictures (her beads are beautiful) and feel like it really gave me a lot of insight into how to work the Chalcedony, which I had been having an awful time with. Thanks so very much!

Nancy
Nancy,
Glad to see you got some great color. I have pulled stringers from furnace glass bars (1 1/2 inch rods) for many years. The color is very soft and can burn easily so I work out on the end of the flame. Oxy rich flames are helpful because many of the colors contain lead which will reduce to an ugly gray puke color. Be sure your flame is a little past neutral towards an oxidizing flame. The color density is for blowing glass. They cut a 1 inch piece and heat it in an oven. Then they gather clear from the furnace and pop the color on top. They melt it over the clear, hence the name color overlay. When they blow the bubble out the color remains bright.
I always have to heat and smash the end of my stringers so I can tell the color shade After use, I smash it again before returning it to my bench holder so I can easily select the color I need next time.
Hope this helps,
Have fun,
HITK,
Kurt