View Single Post
Old 2015-08-22, 5:11pm
Phill

I have my kiln (Paragon) set for a 12 hour garage segment and a 2 hour (ish, my memory is not helping today) annealing ramp down to the strain point of 780 (again the memory thing) with a cool to room temp of about 6 hours.

My point is that I just skip to the next segment in the program and it starts the annealing part.

I also trust my kiln to do what it has been doing ever since I bought it just like I trust my stove and my washer and dryer. So I tell it what to do and go to sleep with concern.

I also have the protection against worst case with a clear bench around the kiln and smoke detectors in 3 places in the house and a circuit breaker on the far side of the room and 2 fire extinguishers.
So even if the internal protections of the kiln fail I still have confidence in my back up plan and my back plan to the back up plan.

I don't have experience with a Bluebird but I don't think it will hold the annealing range of 950 to the strain point long enough to properly anneal beads in that size range.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea of that.

Also I am wondering about your measurements. Is that from the mandrel to the edge of the bead or is that from one side of the bead to the other.

I think the hole in the middle of the bead counts as the start of the thickness when the glass manufactures measure the rate of cooling.

Maybe LarryC or yellowbird can help us.