View Single Post
Old 2010-09-19, 8:40pm

Mary,

OH. MY. GOD! I don't know where to start....

This was not directed at you. The whole first section you take such issue with (which seems to have hit a nerve with everyone) was about ME.... not YOU or anyone else. It was about my fear of committing hard to come by dollars based on my experience at editing other people's stuff, reading tuts in glass magazines that supposedly have an editor (I canceled my subscription to one for a long period of time due to poor writing and editing.)

I honestly was not aware that you personally had written any.

The word professional had to do with being a professional WRITER not a beadmaker. One of the things I saw while producing with HGTV was craft magazines figuring out that Suzy Q Crafter at home was willing to write how-to articles for free for free product and that they could save money not hiring a designer who... actually knew how to write for magazines. They failed to realize what they were saving in design fees was being spent on time delays and editorial costs or sacrificed in quality of the projects.

Furthermore, they often took these same women (mostly) to trade shows and then wondered why no on was watching the demos or booking them for television. All I was saying is that because someone makes a great bead does not make her a professional writer.

And, while I don't profess to know EVERYONE in the glass world, I do know a lot. Without fail EVERYONE I KNOW is not selling the volume of beads as before. I never said anyone gave up beadmaking to sell tuts.

You are taking all of it way too personally when really, I don't know you! I din't write about you. I wrote a list of tips and and intro explaining WHY I WANTED to write a list of tips. THAT IS ALL!

Like with any tutorial, use what you can, ignore the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
OK. I know I said I was done...but surprisingly I must not be because how could I possibly not reply to this? First of all, I'm not suicidal...I'm defensive and offended. Did you not read a single word I wrote? What part of 'the tips are great' did you miss?

If you need me to put a finer point on it than in my last post, here is the part I have issues with(and I'm not alone).

I've written in blue behind each sentence how I felt when I read it. It doesn't matter if you understand why I felt that way. This paragraph does NOTHING to support a feeling of camaraderie or whatever is supposedly missing from this big happy glass family that is falling apart because I want paid for work done.

"With the abundance of tutorials flooding the market , I have to say, I haven’t been in a rush to buy even one (Congratulations for making me feel wanted.) . It seems that no one (Really? No one? ) is selling the volume of beads they were before (That's because people quit friggin' buying them) , and are instead trying to sell a tutorial on how to make “their” signature bead. (Um...not how it happened for me. First, I hate that signature bead crap. I didn't quit selling beads so I could sell tutorials instead. I want to have both in my shop. If you must know I wrote and listed tutorials right alongside my beads for a long time, then life got in the way of my torch and thank God I had those tutorials in there to keep me afloat until I got my act together. I don't owe anyone that explanation and resent that you presumed to know my motivations.)Frankly, I have very mixed feelings… I would be nowhere without the abundance of free tutorials out there (and I wonder where all these “professional” (What is with the quotation marks like you're questioning MY professionalism?) tutorial writers would be without them either!). (And where would I be without all the information I PAID for along with it?)" quoted from Holly's article.

This paragraph made me feel unappreciated, unworthy, and hurt that someone thinks I'm a greedy, self-serving wannabe looking to make a fast buck on suckers who don't know any better.

So I get done reading that lovely message and get to read through a whole list of tips on how I'm doing it wrong from someone who had never even seen one of the glass tutorials she was criticizing. Ironically enough, the tips ARE actually great. LOL

No, I'm not suicidal. I'm frustrated that even though I've explained several times that it is not the tips and suggestions I'm offended by, people don't seem to get it.

Posts just keep saying things like "these suggestions weren't meant to destroy you". Yeah, no kidding. It's not the suggestions that bothered me. Or like, "I'm just frustrated with the quality of the work". No. That's not it. How could you be frustrated with a quality of work you had not even seen at the time you wrote this?

When I posted my last post I had made peace with the fact that Holly defends her position and doesn't value what I'm doing. That's fine. We are all different and we are all entitled to our opinions. It's cool. I don't have to like everything that goes on in the glass world either. LOL

No...it is the posts still thinking that what some of us are worked up about are the tips and suggestions. It's not the tips. GEEZ.

~~Mary

Seriously freakin' done now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.