View Single Post
Old 2010-10-12, 10:07pm

I usually don't print out my tuts because I don't really want to make an exact copy of the bead. I do like someones suggestion of getting an iPad or simmilar to view tuts in your studio. I do see both sides of this debate. On the one hand most books I have looked at show many different techniques, while tuts usually only show one (many show more that one) And you can do whatever you want with the book. However the techniques I have learned from books seem to be things I could have learned for free elsewhere.
I love the tuts I have bought. When I started I bought the tuts that seemed the most popular now I am more selective. I feel that the info in the tuts is stuff that may never make it into a book not because its not worthy of being published but because it's a huge undertaking and getting something published is not easy. I do think that the authors should be compensated for their time and expertise, you are buying a trade secret. I feel I can look at the beads that a tut will teach you how to make and decide if I could figure that out on my own before I buy it. Also I evaluate how likely I am to use a certain technique. Yes some are very expensive but again you don't have to buy it.