View Single Post
Old 2009-11-16, 6:23pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

This video has been an enormous help to me in finally doing some decent encasing!

After watching and rewatching the part beginning at 2:45 where Laura sticks the base of the gather on the bead and spins the mandrel, I felt ready to practice. I decided not to conquer the world. I didn't worry about scummy clear or anything else--I just wanted to get an even wrap.

I used a base of transparent cobalt since it's nice and stiff. Wow, my first attempts were successes! The clear wasn't even scummy! I'm using these beads on a beadable pen to sell.

One of my first lampworking instructors showed this technique, only we didn't have the luxury of being able to rewind to the moment of applying the gather, seeing how the gather droops in front of the bead, and spinning to get a nice wrap.

Watch the video several times if you've suffered with encasing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.