View Single Post
Old 2014-06-21, 8:32pm

Default Mapp or Propane for a Hot Head

Some questions here on using Mapp vs. Propane on my Hot Head torch. Normally I am using a MegaMinor with propane and an oxycon. I have a Hot Head that I use occasionally with a 1# cylinder of Mapp. I was at the welding shop today and spoke with a clerk about buying Mapp in bulk. They can clean out a propane tank (7#) and fill it with 30# of Mapp for $66.00. I would apparently the use the same type regulator that I now use on my propane tank. Evidently an acetylene regulator can also be used for Mapp or propane. But then I thought that some of you Hot Head users are using propane regardless. So...what is the difference? I think that Mapp is a little hotter, cleaner??? Propane is much cheaper tho!

Next question...how in the world do you attach the Hot Head torch to a stable surface if it's just the torch head and hose to the tank???

My 14 year old grandson is flying out this week and we are going to work on lampworking. I would like to get an affordable setup for him (if he is interested enough) to use at home and a Hot Head with bulk gas appears to be the ticket!!! (I already bought the didy's)!

Feel free to chime in with any other info I might need on this subject

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.