View Single Post
Old 2006-01-09, 1:09am
"....Oh Honey!"

First of all, thanks for the kind words. It is VERY much appreciated.

Boro....sigh....I love it, occasionally hate it, but I am always captivated by its' magical qualities. Most of my beads begin with a small clear base I add color over this and finish with a clear encasement. Encasing will magnify many of the colors while helping keep your cost down. Also, keep in mind what we are now paying for many of the hand pulled colors and odd lots in the soft glass palette.

I have an Airstep generator that will run the Lynx part of my Phantom. It's acceptable for melting boro, but doesn't give me the oooomph I prefer. I keep tanks on hand for boro and use the generator for soft glass. I'm anxious to hear more about the new systems that are in the works.

The popularity of boro has had a gimongis growth over the last five years. (gimongis is lots, in case you weren't sure.) In addition, the range of colors we have available are truly special. I continue to use soft glass about half of the time. When melting boro, I find that I am more relaxed as the glass is easier to control and more forgiving. When starting out, I think the sample packs are a great option to find which colors work with your setup. There are so many variables that will affect the color: type of torch, fuel pressures, flame environment, cooling and re-heating cycles in the flame, kiln settings, etc. Do keep in mind that if you plan to work with boro on a regular basis, you need to check into eye protection that is specifically rated for boro use. At the very least, add a shade 5, clip on lense over your current pair of glasses. (If you go this route, the welding shop plastic clip-ons will need to be replaced every six months.) After writing this, I think I need a torch fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dvd now available

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wildfirelauri; 2006-01-09 at 2:11am.