View Single Post
Old 2006-01-10, 11:30am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
Ok I got some COOL COLORS, for me that is!, from the Double Amber Purple.
I know I know, where is the pic? I am working on it.
I am excited now, yippee!
I did order some frit yesterday, so I will try that when it comes in. I bought what was suggested earlier in this thread.
Ok another question or two:
What other colors do you have tips for? I have a sample pak of both NS and GA.
Any others to avoid beside the Ruby?
More tips please

Thank you!
Carrie
I wouldn't say avoid the Ruby. It just needs to be put in the kiln at a lower temperature. I have best results heating Ruby in the flame until it goes clear, letting it cool, and then putting it into the kiln at 1000 degrees for about 1/2 hour. It will develop the red color on its own.

When you start working with GA Crayon colors, work them cooler than normal, or encase them, or both. Otherwise they will boil. Once they boil, I have never had any luck heating them back up smoothly.

I would visit www.northstarglassworks.com and www.glassalchemyarts.com. Both companies have good tips for working their color on their sites. One thing you need to learn right off the bat is what is a "neutral" flame on your torch. If you got a rod of GA Amazon Night you can use that to test. Turn your torch on and heat the rod until it goes round on the tip. Then take it out and let it cool. If the rod is the same color after heating as it is when it was cool, your flame is neutral.

What other colors did you get in the sample packs? I have some experience with most all the GA colors (although I would by no means consider myself an expert) so let me know what you have and I'll let you know what I know about them. I'm sure Brent would do the same for the NS colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.