Thread: Viking Knit
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-22, 9:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmets View Post
I just got my viking knit "kit" from Roccio and I printed out the mini tutorial and set to work. Yeah right. Once I taped down the five petals to the dowel I was lost. How pathetic is that? I couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was supposed to do next. I pasted the link to the tut so you can see what I was seeing. I'm at work right now so can't actually sit down and do any of this but I got so frustrated I wound up tossing the mandrel onto the floor and walking away last night. lol.lol. Please help.

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/vikingknitdirections.html
I have seen the "tutorial" on the Roccio site and I am surprised you were able to get as far as you have based on that. The tutorial I wrote for this technique is over 30 pages and has nearly 80 photographs. The comment from Starrr is entirely right. Basically, the bundle of petals and the first SEVERAL rounds of stitches are just to get things started before you switch over the the wire you want to use for your piece. If you are unsure about the weaving process, just stick with the copper craft wire. Just practice the Single Knit Stitch for a while before switching to Double Knit (as in Pic 12). It might help to consider that Viking knitting simply consists of making loops around the base (where the crossed wires form an "X") of other loops. Really, that is it! And don't fret too much about the unevenness of your stitches; the drawplate has the magical ability to hide all kinds of sins!

Ask more questions so we can help you. It really is worth learning this technique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.