View Single Post
Old 2008-08-14, 4:22am
Oh No You Didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I was afraid I'd die before I try everything I want to try... that still scares me a little. Prolly my biggest fear now is losing my limbs and not being able to melt glass right up until I die.
Oh yeah! This has been and still is one of my greatest fears. There's so many things I still want to try before I go.

I actually didn't have any fears about any of it at first because I had been silversmithing and into ceramics for several years before I took up lampworking so was used to torches and heat and kilns and stuff.

However, I do fear the kiln now and refuse to go to bed while it ramps down like I used to. I will stay up half the night waiting so I can turn it off before I go to sleep now because things can and do go terribly wrong with kilns. I learned that the hard way but luckily it was during the day while I was actually using it and caught it.

NEVER leave your kiln unattended!

As a not so newbie, teaching others is what scares me. I taught a couple of silversmithing classes once and the first thing the lady did after she was finished soldering her piece was reach down to pick it up....with her bare hand! If I hadn't been watching closely she would have been badly burnt. Bout gave me a heart attack.

I've been tossing around the idea of teaching a beginners lampwork class, (my doctor wants to learn) but after that experience, I'm afraid to even try it.

It's way too easy to grab hot things without thinking. I do it all the time....LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon