View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 5:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
I'm gonna tag onto this thread rather than start "yet another tutorials ethics" thread. I have a question I really haven't seen addressed, so I hope this is not flogging a dead horse!

This is mostly a question for tutorial writers, but I'm interested in the general opinion, too. I know there are a number multi-torcher households, including my own, where a spouse/child/parent/etc. living under the same roof torches. Should spouses, for example, purchase separate tutorial copies? In my household, for example, we share our copies of lampworking books, fight over who gets first dibs on The Flow when it arrives, hang out with each other and back-seat drive at the torch. We learned lampworking and jewelry making specifically as something to do together.

If you are a tutorial author, do you feel it is ok for a purchaser to share a tut with a spouse? If no, is it ok let a spouse watch while you are creting a bead from a tutorial?

In my case, it is not really an issue YET (although I don't have a clue why my hubby doesn't want to make, for example, Lydia's delicious watercolor florals) - but it could be. My husband is my extra eyes and most honest critic; if I'm not getting something right, he'll watch and troubleshoot. He's also my most valued production assistant. He prefers making twisties and canes and components to making beads, and I could see envision a situation where I would want him to read a tutorial and build a specific set of canes, murrini, etc. for me to use in a particular bead. Again, so far not a problem - I can just say "Hey make me a bunch of diffferent colorful canes in these colors" and take the results and make Anne R's Wild Brights with them all day without him seeing the actual tutorial - but if I need something more specific...

If you have a household member who torches, do you share tutorials? Do you share techniques one of you has learned in a class the other did not take? What do you feel is appropriate?

that is a tough question to answer, but, think of it this way. if you buy Stephen Kings new book, and your hubby wants to read it next...do you tell him to buy another copy?

that's my take on it. so long as it's not being copied or reproduced, or shown publicly in any way (the tut itself) it's fair game.