Thread: Batch Anealing
View Single Post
Old 2014-06-20, 12:41am

This is how I batch anneal. I have my kiln set up like in the picture with beads cooled in vermiculite and then "strung" on old thin mandrels that I have cut down to fit into my kiln. I leave the bead release in the beads and clean after I've annealed. I bought some holey sheets of metal from the hardware and bent them into a fat U shape which sits up off the kiln floor (Not sure that this is necessary). My batch annealing schedule is usually as follows:

500degC/hr, to 475degC, hold 0
100degC/hr, to 505degC, hold 1hr **
40degC/hr, to 400degC, hold 0
500deg/hr to 250degC, hold 0

The kiln is a Paragon SC2. **I vary the temp and time at the annealing step depending on the glass. For example I will hold at a lower temp for longer for a silver striking glass so I don't kiln strike it and change the final outcome from what I put into the kiln.

This schedule works well for me, but remember that kilns vary and the temp that your kiln displays may not be the real temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.