View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 9:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliglassguy View Post
Thank you for all the advice/ suggestions/pros/cons....I think I may just settle on a Kobuki torch if I can afford it or just wait till I have saved enough to afford it. I love the looks of the Herbert Arnold and it does seem to be easy to adjust from the short video I've watched though not sure if I'd get the 40 or 50 or 65 mm Herbie. If I'm unable to wait I'll likely settle for a Mirage price wise it seems an easier upgrade than waiting till I can plunk down 3300+ for a Kobuki and another 4oo+ for the foot pedal. Time to start signing up for overtime at my day job and beginning the torch fund. I may check out the Sidewinder too though I'm not sure of the capabilities for larger marbles heat wise on the sidewinder.
For marbles more is definitely better. I can make a 2" using just the lynx but it takes about 2.5 hours. Most of that time is spent in bringing the mass up to a uniform temp sufficient for going into the mold. The same marble and bigger is usually 1.5 hours on the mirage. The pedal is really not that important as I find I almost always re adjust the torch mix when I kick on the outer fire anyway. I would like the herbie 40 but it really is much more expensive than the mirage since you will need an expensive inline regulator and a way to supply air as well. You can run without those items but i am told you lose a lot of the things that make the herbie tops.