View Single Post
Old 2010-03-07, 9:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcorgi View Post
This thread reminds me (in a good way!) of the lady on WetCanvas who tried using spaghetti pasta out of the box to see if it would work as mandrels. I was particularly impressed that she thought to go public with it. (No, it doesn't even come CLOSE to being a good idea ...)

Regards,
- Becky in MN
Oh this reminds me of years ago when my DH worked in a machine shop. He had to do a bit of welding occasionally and would save the left over welding rods for me and grind and polish the ends to make into knitting needles. They were the right gauge for the socks I used to make. Just so happens that's the same stuff we use for mandrels.

Now what did I do with all that old knitting stuff...

He works on old computers for friends now as a hobby and sometimes someone will give him an ancient one that has outlived it's usefulness. Old computers are a gold mine of jewelry making parts. I especially love old hard drives. The machined spindles the disks sit on are my favorite bead caps for large beads. After you're done take what's left to an electronics recycler or reclaimer or whatever they are called in your area.

Oh btw I use old envelopes for funnels all the time. Just snip out a corner with scissors. They look amazingly like the disposable funnels sold at the auto parts store.

Lori