View Single Post
Old 2010-04-08, 8:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
Thanks so much, Dave.
I was wondering about annealing the tubing as it seems so brittle. Probably the uneveness of the bead edges is the biggest factor though - just not prime beads. I just purchased the deburring tool where I got my tubing, but it doesn't seem very intuitive to me. I think I'm just a klutz because I can't figure out why it seems hard. How difficult can it be to twist that tool inside the tubing? But it just skips and kind of bumps along and I end up using a file anyway. I am kind of using it in a paring knife motion - trying to brace against my thumb.

It's just not easy. Maybe after I do about a hundred of these I'll get the knack. Am going to try caps next because it might give me a more even edge, right?
I take it you have the swivel type. If so, to use that one, don't use your thumb like a paring knife. That's totally wrong. Just put the end into the tube and run the tool around in a light, even, circular motion. Don't press. Let the tool swivel freely. Easy does it. You'll get the feel of it pretty soon.

"Dave's debur tool" ( Imaginative name huh? ) requires no learning curve, and is pretty much fool proof. It can't go wrong, can't gouge etc. That is one drawback of the type you have.

Your bead edges probably have nothing to do with the tubing splitting. You just need soft metal, and a clean even edge on the tube.

I think I can probably help you on several fronts with a phone call. Email or PM your number and a convenient time if you want, and I'll be glad to give you a ring.

Regards,
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.