View Single Post
Old 2018-01-23, 7:02pm

Default First Post is a studio question

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum, seems like alot of good people on this one. So here goes...after realizing i want to do lampwork, i've done a hell of alot of research and reading to decide where i want to set up my space. my wife and I have three young children so the garage is really out of the question due to kid traffic. I briefly considered building a small mobile cabinet that holds my oxygen and propane tanks with a small Kiln inside that I can unfold and work outside. however this option seemed to be very temporary and I would have to roll it back inside the garage at night...not ideal. so I have settled on buying a shed. I have found one that is a 12 x 10 galvanized steel for $350 including a framed out floor that I will cover with hardibacker or some other fireproof material.
I plan on working mostly boro and soon I will have a gtt lynx on the way.
I will cut an 800 CFM exhaust fan into the wall over my bench and install a window unit and at least one large vent on the opposite side to allow air in.
my real issue now is safety before I move forward. with a propane tank I am comfortable leaving that outside the shed with the hose coming through the wall. obviously I do not want the O2 tank inside the shed so I am considering my options here:
should I build a small lean-to and store the O2 outside in an open metal cage?
should I build a horizontal metal cage on the outside of the shed and lay it down?
should I use the tank on the outside of the shed and store it somewhere else when I'm done?
it will be chained up both when in use and when stored but my main concern is how well it will hold up to Florida weather if left outside for several weeks before I need a replacement. How well do they deal with heat and humidity?
any suggestions or experience would be much appreciated from you guys who have done something similar. safety, the least amount of hassle with moving the tank, etc... thanks

Last edited by Fuzzy; 2018-01-23 at 7:22pm.