View Single Post
Old 2013-12-16, 5:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
A respirator is only as good as the seal to your face that you get with it. I use masks that have silicone face area so I get that good tight seal. You know its a good seal when you feel like it kinda suctions to your face. I like the one below with the pink lightweight pancake filters so they do not impair my vision at the torch too much.
When I worked at the nickel refinery, we learned how to fit test for them. Put one hand over the outlet valve in the center and blow out normally. If it's a good fit, the mask will not leak until quite a bit of pressure has built up inside the mask. Then put one hand completely over each of the two intake vents on the filters (at the same time). Breathe in normally. If the mask "sucks" onto your face without any side leakage, the fit is good.

FYI It's impossible to get a good fit on a half-face respirator with a full beard. You have to shave so that the area where the mask comes into contact with your face is clean-shaven. Not that I've had first-hand experience with this one.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-12-16 at 5:46pm.