View Single Post
Old 2006-04-01, 11:29am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L
even if it doesnt drop the pressure in your case (since you're using a completely different setup) you dont need need to use them in line anyway.
Well, it is usually the oxygen line that burns. If someone feels safer using a FA, I certainly wouldn't discourage them from doing so, even though surface mix torches generally do not flash back. If there is ever any premixing, there is the possibility of a flashback. Better safe than sorry.

I think you need to evaluate your entire set-up and assess your risk before dismissing the notion of using a FA. That being said, I do not use a FA with my concentrator.

I have never heard of a torch flashing back on a concentrator. It's not that a concentrator prevents flashback. It is because most torches used with a concentrator are surface mix torches and they rarely flash back. I have definitely heard of some surface mix torches flashing back, but they were on tanks, as the vast majority of torches out there are. Anyway, on a concentrator, the pressure is relatively low, so there isn't much to push anything away from the unit. I don't know what kind of damage a flashback could do to a concentrator, but I wouldn't want it to happen to mine.

FAs can cause a drop in line pressure, but there are other things that can do that, too.